Our next addition for the nature alphabet is for Letter G. We chose gorillas as our topic! We found a page on EnchantedLearning called All About Gorillas! They had a ton of information with cute little clip art images of gorillas as well. There was so much information that we just skimmed through and read a couple sentences of each subheading on the page. Here are some things we learned:
- Male gorillas develop a silver hair patch on their backs after 12 years of age
- They are vegetarians and eat various parts of plant life from over 200 known plant species!
- Use around 25 recognized vocalizations such as roaring, chuckling, and whining!
- Live to be about 50 in captivity vs. around 35 years in the wild
- Reproduce around 10-12 years of age for a pregnancy duration of 8.5-9 months, producing baby gorillas only 3-4 pounds at birth!
Esmeralda was fascinated learning about the gorilla. However, when the page said that gorillas eat things like plants, leaves, and flowers, she stubbornly refused to believe that. She was practically yelling at me to tell me that gorillas do not eats leaves and flowers. Silly girl. As you can see from her coloring page, she was not really interested in coloring the gorilla even though she enjoyed learning all about them.
We hope you learned some new things about gorillas you did not already know!