We read another Eric Carle book for letter L. This time we read The Grouchy Ladybug! Unfortunately, neither Esmeralda or Emilio cared for this book. I did not either. It was way too repetitive. It had a good storyline, but it was just so boring that the kids would just walk away not even halfway through the book while I sat there alone reading the rest. So instead of doing ladybug for letter L, I chose to do lobster, as found in the book we read. For information about lobsters, we visited the lobster page at National Geographic! Esmeralda really enjoyed the audio clip; it left her in giggles. Here are some things we learned:
- Average life span of 50 years, like how old grandma is!
- Largest lobster recorded was found in Nova Scotia weighing over 44 pounds and between 3-4 ft., estimated to be about 100 years old!
- Used as fertilizer in the 17th and 18th centuries!
- Became a delicacy in the 19th and 20th centuries!
- Shed their shells to grow, throughout their whole lives!
Here is Esmeralda’s coloring page of a lobster!